How to Place an Online Hold
- Search the desired item in the online catalog, JAXCAT.
- In your "Search Results" list, find the item you want.
- Click the blue link which says "Click here to get more information or
place a hold request on this title."
- On the resulting "Full Record Display" for that item, find and click the blue "Place a Hold" link on the left-hand
side of the screen.
- Log in using your library card number and your PIN.
- On the "Submit Hold" screen, use the "Where would you like to pick this up?" drop-down menu to select the branch
at which you want to pick up the item.
- If you need specific volume(s) of a multi-volume set (for example, vol.1 and/or vol.2), check one of each of the volumes you wish to request.
- Click the "Submit Hold" button.
Once your requested item arrives at the designated pickup branch and is available for checkout, you will either be sent an
automated email notification (if you have set up your account for that option), or you will receive a phone call from a
branch staff person.
(NOTE: If you have logged in before searching JAXCAT, you will not be prompted for a second login when
placing the hold.)
Please be aware that holds expire after one year.
Restrictions on placing holds:
- Cards that are expired cannot place holds. When checking your account online, please review the "Library card expires" Date.
- Holds may not be placed on items such as Express7 or Express21 titles, reference items, eBooks, Special Collections material, or other specially designated items.
- There is a limit of 20 hold requests per customer at one time.
To place a hold on multiple copies of a single title, please contact a library location.
If you are still having trouble with the online catalog, please contact us.
Please allow up to three business days (M-F) for our response.
© Jacksonville Public Library, City of Jacksonville.
Page last updated: