Education and Career
Planning for your future -
Picking your college -
Local schools -
Paying for college -
Volunteering and Activism
Clubs & Organizations -
Feelin' Good -
Drugs and Alcohol -
Sexuality, STDs and Parenthood -
Education & Career
Planning for your future
- Alternatives to High School
- College is Possible
- Next Step Magazine
- Online mag that helps high school students, parents and counselors with college and university preparation and search. Online component of the mag, published by Next Step Publishing.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Federal government statistics to help decide a career path
- Operation Graduation
- Shares resources to help you stay in school and get your diploma. Sponsored by the Ad Council and the US Army. En Español also.
- Student Gateway to the United States Government
Picking your college or university
- American School Directory
- Accurate and timely information on K-12 schools ($3/month subscription fee - not endorsed by the Library)
- Edward Waters College
- Florida State College at Jacksonville
- Florida Coastal School of Law
- Jacksonville University
- Jones College
- University of North Florida
Paying for college
- Fastweb: Free scholarship and College Searches
- FinAid: College Financial Aid
- Florida Prepaid College Program
- FAFSA (Federal Student Aid) on the Web
- Student Aid on the Web
- Florida Driver Handbook
- Study for the driver's exam
- Motley Fool for Teens
- Study for the driver's exam
Volunteering & Activism
- City of Jacksonville > Office of Volunteer Services
- Global Volunteers
- City of Jacksonville volunteer network
- Teen Missions International
- Christian mission experience for teens.
Clubs and Organizations
- 4-H - Duval County
- Boy Scouts of America: North Florida (Jacksonville) Council
- Girl Scouts of Gateway Council (Jacksonville)
- Amnesty International
- An organization dedicated to protecting human rights.
- Fair Trade Federation
- An association of fair trade wholesalers, retailers and producers whose members are fully committed to providing fair wages and good employment opportunities to economically disadvantaged artisans and farmers worldwide.
- Friends of the Earth
- A grassroots organization that defends the environment and champions a healthy and just world.
- Grassroots Recycling Network
- GRRN is a national network of waste reduction activists and recycling professionals who use grassroots activism to initiate change, and professional expertise to follow through.
- Habitat for Humanity
- A nonprofit ecumenical Christian housing organization committed to building simple, decent affordable housing in partnership with people in need.
- Heifer International
- An organization dedicated to ending hunger permanently by providing families with livestock and training so that they "could be spared the indignity of depending on others to feed their children".
- Action Without Borders connects people, organizations and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives.
- An organization that is committed to creating lasting solutions to global poverty, hunger, and social injustice.
- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
- An organization that supports animal rights activism throughout the world.
- Slow Food International
- Slow Food is a nonprofit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people's dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.
- Special Olympics of Florida
- Become a volunteer and help transform communities by inspiring people throughout the world to open their minds, accept and include people with intellectual disabilities and thereby celebrate the similarities common to all people.
- An organization whose goal is to "advance humanity". Their goal for every child: Health, Education, Equality and Protection.
Need help right away?
Check out JPL's Teen Hotlines section for local
Good sources for getting the help you need.
- A comprehensive online acne information center, published by the American Academy of Dermatology.
- Break the Cycle
- The mission of this site is to engage, educate and empower youth to build lives and communities free from dating and domestic violence.
- Center for Young Women's Health
- Sponsored by the Children's Hospital of Boston. Includes nutrition and fitness, sexual health, development, and emotional health. En Espanol also.
- Cool Nurse
- Cool Nurse was created to help today's teen and young adult achieve and maintain a high level of health, fitness and well-being.
- FACES Teen Clinic
- Website for teens sponsored by Planned Parenthood of Northeast Florida.
- FDA Health Information for Teens
- FDA's official information on birth control, ephedra, tampons, tattoos, and other information.
- SAFE Alternatives: Stands for “Self-Abuse Finally Ends.”
- A nationally recognized treatment approach, professional network and educational resource base, which is committed to helping you and others achieve an end to self-injurious behavior including self-abuse, self-mutilations, deliberate self-harm, and para-suicidal behavior
Call: 1-800-366-8288 (DONTCUT)
Click here for more information on self-injury or self mutilation.
- Stop Bullying Now!
- What bullying is. What you can do about it. Take a stand, lend a hand. Created by teens for teens, sponsored by the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Teen Growth
- Body, emotions, health, doctor, friends, sports, danger, school, family, and sex. All about teen health.
- Teens Health
- Get answers and advice about food and fitness, sexual health, relationships, safety, and drugs and alcohol. This site features articles about diversity and tolerance, fears and phobias, drugs, and orthodontia-and enables users to link to additional articles about the same topic. This site is also available en español.
- United States Department of Health and Human Services
- The United States government's principal agency for protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services.
- 4 Girls Health
- Focuses on adolescent health concerns and motivates girls to choose healthy behaviors.
Drugs and Alcohol
- Alateen is part of Al-Anon, which helps the friends and families of alcoholics recover or simply cope with the unique problems and stress in relationships with alcoholics. Alateen is a recovery program for young people and includes groups sponsored by Al-Anon members.
- American Council for Drug Education
- The American Council for Drug Education is a substance abuse prevention and education agency that develops programs and materials based on the most current scientific research on drug use and its impact on society.
- Freevibe - National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign
- Get the facts on what alcohol and drugs do to your body.
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency Youth Information
- Founded in 1944 by the first woman to find sobriety through Alcoholic’s Anonymous. Try the online self test to see if you are at-risk for developing alcoholism or drug dependency.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Drug Information Page
- Research information about the effects of drug abuse on the brain and interactive activities to help you learn more about various drugs and how they affect how your brain works.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) for Teens
- The science behind drugs.
- Partnership for a Drug-Free America
- Non-profit coalition of communications industry professionals to help kids and teens reject substance abuse by influencing attitudes through persuasive information.
- What's Driving You?
- "What's Driving You?" offers information about alcohol, DUI, drinking and driving, and ways to think about behaviors associated with drinking.
Sexuality, STDs, and Parenthood
- Coalition on Positive Sexuality
- "You have the right to complete and honest sex education." Provides a lot of good information about birth control and sex, in everyday language.
- Girl Mom
- Support, Community, and Education for young mammas.
- Go Ask Alice
- Question and answers on many health topics, including relationships and sexuality. From Columbia University's Health Education Program, with a searchable database.
- i wanna know
- Information about sexual health for teens published by the American Social Health Association.
- It's Your (Sex) Life
- The primary goal of the "It's Your (Sex) Life" website is to provide reliable, objective sexual health information to young adults. This website is sponsored by the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation.
- National AIDS/STD Hotline
- Call: 1-800-342-2437
- Not me, Not now
- Information supporting abstinence for teenagers.
- Scarleteen is a web site with "sex education that is for real". Site presents a nonjudgmental and unbiased attitude of tolerance and understanding for teens by providing links to helpful resources and articles on teen sexuality.
- Sex, Etc.
- A website by teens, for teens, sponsored by the Network for Family Life Education, Rutger's University.
- Sexuality and U
- This site is committed to providing credible and up-to-date information and education on sexual health. Site maintainted through a collaboration of Canadian medical organizations, and is administered by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists of Canada.
- SIECUS - Families are Talking (for youth)
- SIECUS - Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States. Designed to empower parents and caregivers to communicate with their children about sexuality-related issues.
- Sexuality and relationship information from Planned Parenthood of America. En Espanol also.
- Truth 4 Youth
- An organization that seeks to provide an alternative to pop culture's views on teenage relationships and sexual intimacy, sponsored by the Abstinence Clearinghouse.
- TeenAIDS - PeerCorps
- Information about teen AIDS and HIV.
- Jacksonville Area Sexual Minority Youth Network (JASMYN)
- JASMYN is a Jacksonville-based youth services and advocacy organization that focuses specifically on youth who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer or uncertain about their sexual orientation.
- Out Proud
- Resources for queer and questioning youth, sponsored by the National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Youth. This site has a wide range of resources including frequently asked questions, coming out stories, current news, and role models.
- Safe Schools Coalition
- A public-private partnership in support of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered youth.
- Youth Resource
- Support, community, resources, and peer-to-peer education about issues of concern to GLBT young people. YouthResource is a project of Advocates for Youth.
- All Things Mysterious
- Page for teens to learn information and ask questions about wicca, astrology, tarot as well as read reviews of the latest Llewellyn Publisher books. Get free online readings.
- Anointed Youth Page
- A hangout for Christian teens and young adults.
- A multi-faith Internet site. Try the "Belief-O-Matic" or "What's Your Spiritual Type?" to learn more about your beliefs.
- Interlude: An Internet Retreat
- A meditation site that shares ideas from many spiritual traditions. Meditations, prayers, poetry, and more.
- Islamic Foundation of North America Student Resources
- An Islamic studies and resource center.
- J Vibe
- Online site for Jewish teens, based on the magazine.
- JPL's Religion Recommended Websites Page
- Be sure to check out JPL's Philosophy and Religion page for more information and research links.
- Brief history of the Rastafarian religion.
- Sloppy Noodle
- Christian youth ministry
- Young Life - Jacksonville
- A Jacksonville, Florida non-denominational Christian organization.
Hotlines for Local Services
- Hubbard House
- Hubbard House serves Northeast Florida's domestic violence victims and their families. Since 1976, they provide free care not only for the immediate safety needs of abuse victims and their children, but also to educate, support and promote community awareness about domestic violence and it's far reaching affects in Duval, Baker and Nassau counties.
Call: 904-354-3114 or 800-500-1119
- Safe Place
- The Youth Crisis Center, AKA "Safe Place", helps teens and their families across Northeast Florida. Look for the Yellow and Black "stop signs" at your local libraries, Starbucks, Wal-Marts and Home Depots. All of YCC's services are free and confidential.
Call: 904-720-0002 or 1-877-720-0007
- Salvation Army of Florida
- The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
Call: (904) 353-0971 or (904) 354-3428
Jacksonville Beaches Call: (904) 249-1323
- Women's Center of Jacksonville - Rape Recovery Team
- The Women's Center helps Jacksonville-area women by providing many services including sexual assault victim advocacy, counseling, support groups and more. The center also provides free HIV-testing.
National Agency Hotlines
- Covenant House
- Everyone has basic needs. If you or a friend are coping with lack of food, clothing, housing, employment or trouble at school this is a phone call to make. Talk to someone who can help.
Call the nine line: 1-800-999-9999
- Girls and Boys Town
- Need someone to just listen for awhile? The Girls and Boys Town National Hotline is a 24-hour crisis, resource and referral line. This accredited hotline is staffed by counselors who can respond to your questions every day of the week, 365 days a year.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Provides information regarding 5000 local and nationwide shelters and server providers available for victims, friends and family who often call for life saving help. The Hotline operates 24 hours a day in over 150 languages with a TTY line available for the deaf.
Call: 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233)
- National Runaway Hotline
- Are you thinking about running away? Maybe you are working on a school report and need statistics? This hotline is available 24 hours a day and is confidential and free. Whether you are in a crisis, have a friend who is in trouble, or want ideas for spreading the word about our services, NRH can help.
Call: 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929)
- National Suicide Hotline "HOPELINE"
- Having thoughts about suicide? Know someone who is? Call 24/7 and speak to a certified crisis counselor.
Call: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- Planned Parenthood
- Planned Parenthood health centers offer a huge range of services that include birth control, gynecological care, HIV testing as well as various counseling and referral services. Call for help, advice, or to find a center here in Jacksonville.
- Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network "RAINN"
- The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN carries out programs to prevent sexual assault, help victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice. You'll find statistics, counseling resources, prevention tips, news and more.
Call: 1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-656-4673)
- United Way Dial 211
- People living in a 10-county region of Northeast Florida can now dial 2-1-1, the new, easy to remember, three-digit telephone number for free information and referral and access to health, social and human services.