Science Fair Help
The Northeast Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair will be held February 9- 13, 2014. Winners will go on to the statewide competition and a chance for national and even international exposure. The Science Fairs begin at individual schools in Duval County.
Jacksonville Public Library can help you get started with your project in many ways. We have books at every reading level that will help you choose a topic, set up your experiment and learn how to do an award winning presentation. We have Encyclopedias of Science and Technology and books on a wide array of scientific topics. We also have a wide range of databases that can help you dig deeper into your project.
What is a database?
Maybe the most important thing to know is that the Jacksonville Public Library research databases are not the Internet. So if your teacher doesn’t want you to use the Internet, you should still be able to use databases.
Databases are tools that your library or the State of Florida has purchased to give you access to a vast amount of information. You access the information through a computer either from home or in the library. Not all databases can be accessed from home. You will need a valid library card to access the databases from home.
- Supporting high school curricula and university coursework, Science in Context features authoritative information for assignments and projects, and provides detailed coverage of popular subjects. From earth science and life science, to space, technology, mathematics and science history and biography, this revolutionary, this curriculum-oriented online experience is designed to boost achievement for students and researchers.
- Providing robust coverage of the field of environmental issues and policy, this collection, which includes magazines and academic journals, provides instant access to the multiple viewpoints of this volatile field of study, including perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policy makers, as well as corporate interests.
- (InfoTrac en Español)
- Una colección de revistas hispánicas con textos completos. Abarca negocios, salud, tecnología, cultura, temas de actualidad y otras materias.
- This database is designed for high school students, with access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- This periodical database is designed for students in junior high and middle school, with magazines, newspapers and reference books (most are full-text) for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context is the premier online resource covering today’s hottest social issues, from Offshore Drilling to Climate Change, Health Care to Immigration. Opposing Viewpoints in Context helps students research, analyze and organize a broad variety of data for conducting research, completing writing assignments, preparing for debates, creating presentations and more.
World Book Online Super Homepage
- The electronic version of the popular World Book Encyclopedia. Types of information includes text articles, dictionary entries, images, atlases, maps, as well as media.
Click on widget to access database.
To see ALL the research databases that Jacksonville Public Library subscribes to, please click here.
- A wildlife resource created by the National Wildlife Federation.
- Eric Weisstein’s World of Science
- Large encyclopedic resources on science and mathematics.
- Exploratorium: Museum of Science, Art & Human Perception
- An original content site focusing on the innovative and intriguing in Science and Technology.
- Northeast Florida Regional Science and Engineering Fair
- This site has an excellent section for students getting ready to do their science fair projects, from choosing a topic to competing for the prizes.
- Science Fair Project Resource Guide
- A guide to a variety of web site resources, leading you through the necessary steps to successfully complete a science experiment.
- Science Learning Network
- A number of unique articles and studies including "The Science of Hockey" and "Cow's Eye Dissection".
- SciTech Daily Review
- Informed science and technology coverage and analysis, sourcing a huge range of great writers and excellent publications.
A thorough and interactive Periodic Table of Elements.
- Wonders of the Universe
- A non-commercial, non-profit Web site dedicated to sharing the wonders of the universe.
Check out JPL's Recommended Websites Pages