Music : General Reference
- New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians / edited by Stanley Sadie. -- 2nd ed.
780.3 N532, 2001 [INFORMATION DESK]
- In 29 volumes, this is the most comprehensive English-language music reference source. Long considered the authority for information on European and American classical music, Grove also includes excellent coverage of folk and popular music traditions from around the world. Many articles are quite extensive, and often include bibliographies for further research. Includes numerous black and white illustrations and photographs.
The Harvard Dictionary of Music / edited by Don Michael Randel. -- 4th ed.
780.3 HARVARD 2003 [REFERENCE]
- The Harvard Dictionary has been
the standard source for definitions and
explanations of musical terms, instruments, and
musical concepts since its first incarnation in 1944.
- Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians. -- Centenniel ed. / Nicolas Slonimsky, editor emeritus ; Laura Kuhn, Baker's series advisory editor.
780.922 B168, 2001 [REFERENCE]
- In 6 volumes, the latest edition of Baker's has been expanded to include popular and jazz musicians of the 20th century (including some who are too obscure for the New Grove), in addition to a wide range of classical musicians from ancient times to the present. Many of the articles were written by Nicolas Slonimsky (1894-1995), who set the standard for accuracy and insight without sacrificing wit and style. The index (in volume 6) provides access by nationality, genre, and time period.
- Baker's Dictionary of Music / Nicolas Slonimsky ; edited by Richard Kassel.
780.3 S634b, 1997 [REFERENCE]
- Slonimsky's informative, authoritative, and all-the-while amusing articles put Baker's in a class by itself. Compiled after Slonimsky's death, the volume includes writings collected from a variety of sources (books, program notes, unpublished manuscripts, etc.) spanning the lexographer's illustrious career.
- Contemporary Musicians, v. 1, 21-
780.92 CONTEMPORARY [REFERENCE]
- Covering all genres of modern music, this series profiles artists involved in rock, jazz, pop, rap, rhythm and blues, folk, New Age, country, gospel and reggae, as well as classical music. Many articles include black and white photographs of the musicians discussed, and most have selective bibliographies and discographies. Cumulative indexes are arranged by name and subject.
- The New Grove Dictionary of Musical Instruments / edited by Stanley Sadie.
781.910321 N532 [REFERENCE]
- In 3 volumes, this 1984 set includes illustrated articles on orchestral and folk instruments from around the world. Many entries are derived (but often largely rewritten) from the 1980 edition of the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. Although there are no cultural or regional indexes, extensive cross references link related entries and terms.
- The Look of Music : rare musical instruments, 1500-1900 / Phillip T. Young.
781.91074 Y75l [REFERENCE]
- Lavishly illustrated catalog of antique musical instruments, from a
1980 Canadian exhibition at Vancouver Centennial Musem.
- Google Directory: Music
- Classifed and annotated directory to over 137,000 music-related websites,
from the world's leading internet search engine. Part of the "largest human-edited directory on the web."
- Worldwide Internet Music Resources
- Compiled by staff at the William and Gayle Cook Music Library,
Indiana University School of Music.
- Yahoo! Entertainment Directory: Music
- Classified and annotated directory of websites, from the oldest and best-known
online navigational guide to the Web.
- AcqWeb's Directory of Music Publishers and Vendors
International directory developed for librarians and others
interested in selecting and buying information resources
for library collections.
- All Music Guide
- This amazing site provides detailed information
on all aspects of classical and popular music and jazz, with
articles on virtually every imaginable musical style and sub-genre.
The site is searchable by artist, album, song, styles, and
even record labels. Individual albums are rated, and individual
tracks are listed with the track timings.
- Copyright for Music Librarians
- Guidelines from the Music Library Association concerning the legality of copying music and music recordings.
- The Grove Concise Dictionary of Music
- An online version of the 1988 book publication, with entries on music terminology,
brief biographies of composers and performers, and some brief historical articles.
Coverage of classical music is excellent, but coverage of jazz and
popular music is spotty and sparse.
- PD Info : Public Domain Music
- Lists over 3500 popular songs and classical pieces that are in the public domain in the United States.
- The Rough Guide to Music
- Online versions of the Rough Guide books
for rock, classical music, and world music. Includes band, artist, and composer biographies,
and recommends specific recordings.