Online Resources |
The Main Library subscribes to a number of music and music-related magazines and journals.
These are primarily shelved alphabetically by title in the Periodicals Department,
located in the basement level. [Exceptions: Current
issues of The Instrumentalist and Opera News are shelved in the Fine Arts Department.]
- American Record Guide
- Covering only classical music, this is the oldest guide to
recordings in the U.S., and includes over 500 reviews in every issue.
It also provides information about important concerts, orchestras,
and musicians on the American scene.
BBC Music Magazine
- The "best-selling classical music magazine in the world."
Gives a comprehensive overview of concerts and broadcasts in the UK, and includes
reviews of books, CDs, and DVDs, which, however, may not be available in the United States.
- Recording industry news, published weekly, and including sales
Library retains current year only.
- "An international monthly devoted to the organ, the harpsichord and church music."
Library retains current year only (after 1974)
- The longest-running magazine about jazz and jazz musicians; includes monthly reviews of
newly released jazz and blues recordings.
- Popular entertainment news, including information about popular musicians.
- Information about guitar players and related music industry news,
and reviews of guitar gear and other products of interest to guitar players;
includes monthly lessons for beginners to advanced players.
Jazz Times Magazine
- According to the All Music Guide to Jazz, "JazzTimes has become what is
arguably the number one jazz magazine in the world."
It includes news, reviews, and various directories
of venues, jazz festivals, educational programs, etc., of interest to performers
- Includes interviews, articles, photographs, record and book reviews, obituaries, festival dates, and club dates.
Notes (Music Library Association)
- In addition to news and information about music librarianship,
this publication includes scholarly articles on music history and theory, and reviews of music books and recordings.
- This publication of the Metropolitan Opera Guild includes feature articles and news items of interest
to opera lovers, and provides information about regional and international
productions and festivals, obituaries, and reviews of books, recordings and videos.
- Published biweekly, Rolling Stone remains a leading source for information about and criticism
of American popular culture, with some political coverage thrown into the mix.
Regularly includes entertainment news items, feature articles, photography, and music and movie reviews.
Sound & Vision
- "The world's largest entertainment equipment magazine,
Sound & Vision is the preeminent source for consumers of home theater,
audio, video and multimedia products. Authoritative and accessible,
written with insight and humor, Sound & Vision is at the forefront of
the ever-changing, always dynamic world of electronic entertainment."
Supercedes Stereo Review. Primarily concerned with hardware, but
includes reviews of music CDs.
- "From the next big things to innovative icons, SPIN champions all
music that rocks, and is the respected home for a trendsetting audience passionate about music."
Includes reviews, essays, profiles and interviews.
- "The International Entertainment Weekly" is the principle industry news source for movies, theater, and television,
including related musical productions.
- "Through the prism of Urban Music, VIBE chronicles the celebrities, sounds, fashion, lifestyle, new media, and business born from this art form."
Additional periodical resources are available through
online index to periodical articles, with full-text articles from selected titles
available online. Note that images from
the original articles are not always included in the online
versions of some periodicals. InfoTrac®
is available at all
Library locations, and to library cardholders by remote access.
Full-text InfoTrac® Music Titles (listing)
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Photocopies of most articles from periodicals not owned by
the Jacksonville Public Library are available through our Interlibrary Loan service.