All databases are accessible from non-Library computers except where noted.
Many resources accessible from home will require the use of a valid JPL Library Card.
For a printable list of our databases, click here.
Remote Access problems?
- ABC CLIO Databases
- To search across all or any combination of databases, this is the home page. Includes the following databases: American Government; American History; The American Mosaic: The African American Experience; The American Mosaic: The American Indian Experience; The American Mosaic: The Latino American Experience; Daily Life Through History; Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society; Pop Culture Universe: Icons, Idols, Ideas;United States Geography; World at War: Understanding Conflict and Society; World Geography: Understanding a Changing World; World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras; World History: The Modern Era.
- Florida Electronic Library
- A program funded under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Florida Department of State, Division of Library and Information Services. Access to many resources, from InfoTrac to Kids InfoBits, is granted to the holder of a valid Florida library card.
- Gale Encyclopedia of Associations: National Organizations of the U.S.
- Comprehensive source of detailed information concerning nonprofit American membership organizations of national scope. Covers more than 23, 000 organizations in categories such as trade, business, and commercial; legal, governmental, public administration, and military; cultural; educational; veterans, hereditary, and patriotic; athletic and sports; fan clubs, and many more.
Gale Virtual Reference Library
A collection of downloadable reference e books available from the Florida Electronic Library and Jacksonville Public Library, the Virtual Reference Library includes MacMillan's Biology, the Gale Encyclopedias on Alternative Medicine, Cancer, Genetic Disorders, Medicine, Multicultural America, Popular Culture, World of Earth Science, and Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America and as of 11/2010, 205 new titles.
- General Reference Center Gold
- A general interest database that integrates a variety of sources in one easy-to-use interface. Find articles from newspapers, reference books, and periodicals, many with full-text and images. Find the latest current events, popular culture, business and industry coverage, the arts and sciences, sports, hobbies, and more.
- A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology.
- A vast database consisting of millions of full-text news and periodical articles, many with images. Covers a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology, and many general interest topics. Includes popular InfoTrac databases such as InfoTrac OneFile, General Reference Center Gold, General Business File ASAP, Expanded Academic ASAP, Business Index ASAP, as well as Kid's and Junior Editions.
- World at War: Understanding Conflict and Society (In-Library) (Remote Access)
- This database is an invaluable online resource that presents comprehensive information and unique insights into the military conflicts that have defined our world from antiquity to today. The only online resource focused on the causes and consequences of wars fought around the world, elucidating the global impact of these conflicts.
World Book Online Super Homepage
- The World Book Web is a suite of online research tools that includes encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio, and video, complemented by current periodicals and related Web sites.
Click widget to access database and 'More Information about site' to discover what information the site contains.
- World Book Advanced E-book collection includes thousands of fiction and non-fiction E-books, with selections in nine languages.
World Book Online for Kids is the first site developed specifically for primary school aged patrons, with such features as:
• Thousands of easy-to-read articles
• Engaging images and illustrations
• Interactive games and activities
• Interactive maps
• Outline maps and flags
• A biography center
• Science projects
• Teacher resources
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- World History: Ancient and Medieval Eras covers early human history around the globefrom prehistoric times to the beginnings of the Renaissance.
- World History eCollection
- This collection provides well-rounded coverage of both the current thinking and events in World History, as well as scholarly work being established in the field. This compilation of journals provides robust and balanced coverage of this field, useful both to the novice historian as well as to the advanced academic researcher.
- World History: The Modern Era (In-Library Use) (Remote Access)
- World History: The Modern Era is the latest update of the reference standard of electronic history reference materials for high school and high-level middle school coursework.