U.S. Government Maps
Representing the bulk of the Library's map collection, U.S.
Government Maps is located in the Government Documents
Collection on the fourth floor of the Main Library.
If you need assistance, please ask for
help at the Information Desk.
The collection is worldwide in scope, containing physical,
political, topographic and geologic maps, and navigational
charts. Reference maps include USGS Topographic (U.S.,
Florida and Georgia), FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM),
national and international maps, etc.
- Boating and Angling Guides
- Produced by the
Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, these maps
display many features of interest to boaters and fishermen,
including locations of materials, boat ramps, artificial reefs and
distribution of natural resources found in coastal areas.
- The American Revolution, 1775-1783,
An Atlas of 18th Century Maps and Charts: Theatres
- Reproductions of period maps and charts, these maps were
created by the U.S.
Naval History Division in 1972. JPL's holdings include 19
of the series' 20 maps. For historic reference.
- Ecological Survey Maps
- Produced by the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service (FWS), these 1:250,000 scale maps are designed
to assist in making location and design decisions about development
along coastal areas. The maps display limited topographic
detail and habitats of coastal animals, and include depictions of
wildlife refuges, waterfowl management areas, and parks. This
collection contains maps from both the Atlantic Coast and Gulf
- F.I.R.M. (Flood Insurance Rate
- Produced by FEMA, these maps
are used by governments, real estate analysts, insurance providers,
appraisers, land developers and the public to determine flood-prone
areas. The maps identify flood risks based on factors such as
local hydrology, topology, precipitation, and other scientific
- Florida County Maps
- General highway maps produced by the state and federal DOTs.
- Highway Maps, Georgia
- Need to order or view a transportation map? The Georgia Department of Transportation provides a variety of transportation maps for the motoring public.
- International City and Country
- Hundreds of maps are included in this group, including
political, physical and highway indicators for individual countries
and some cities.
- Nautical Charts
- Produced by
NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey (OCS), these maps are nautical charts for
U.S. waters. Created using Mercator projection, these maps vary in scale and give soundings in feet for coastal waterways.
- Selected Civil War Maps
- Produced for the centennial celebration of the American Civil
War, these U.S. Coast and
Geodetic Surveys were produced by the U.S. Department of Commerce. For historic reference.
- Topographic Maps
- Produced by the USGS, these topographic maps cover the United States, Florida and Georgia. The
majority of the over 400 U.S. topographic maps are from the 1:250,000 scale series. The Florida and Georgia maps are from
the 1:24,000 scale series, also known as 7.5 minute quadrangles.
- U.S. Census Maps
- These maps are based on the 1980 Census, and include political
county boundaries for all 50 states.
Sample Government Maps
Click on any map image below to see a larger version!
Fig. A. Nautical Chart
Nautical Chart of the mouth of the St. Johns
Fig. B. Topographic Map
St. John's River
Fig. C. Boating and Angling Maps
Jacksonville and Coast line of NE