Researching Florida Ancestors
- Jacksonville City Directories (1870 - present)
- Florida City Directories (non-Jacksonville): includes Deland, Eustis, Gainesville, Ocala, Palatka, State of Florida, Daytona Beach 1908-1960; some years missing.
Jacksonville City Directories for select years are available online at the JPL Digital Library.
- Federal Censuses 1830-1930 (excluding 1890)
- Soundexes for Federal Censuses 1880-1930 (excluding 1890)
- State Censuses for 1885, 1935 and 1945
- Marriages for Duval County 1823-1963.
- Microfilm set includes marriage
certificates (1823-1927), register of marriages (1889-1931), and marriage license applications
(1915-1927) and an index to marriage records (1823-1963).
- Probate Records 1822-1922.
- Microfilm set includes indexed Last Wills and Testatments (1866-1922),
Letters Testamentary and Administration (1865-1902), Orders, Petitions, and Oaths of Administration
(1892-1908), Order Books in Probate (1845-1878), Homestead Exemptions (1851-1893), Index to Probate Packets (1805-1960),
Probate Packets (nos. 1-2269), Index to Judgements and Decrees (1901-1922), and Index to Satisfactions
and Assignments of Judgement (1904-1923).
- Archibald Records 1822-1894.
- Named for J.W. Archibald of the Title and Trust Company of Florida, the Archibald Records
contain copies of the abstract company's records which were the only land records available following
the destruction of the official records in the Jacksonville fire of 1901.
- Deed Records 1822-1923.
- Microfilm set includes direct index to deeds (1901-1923) and reverse index to deeds
- Mortgage Records 1901-1923.
- Microfilm set includes index to mortgagors (1901-1923) and index to mortgagees (1901-1923).
- Guide to Supplementary Vital Statistics from Church Records in Florida.
Gen 929.3759 h673g
- Florida Death Index 1877-2001
- Florida Marriage Index 1927-2001
- Florida Divorce Index 1927-2001
- Florida Juror and Witness Certificates.
GEN 929.3759 B762f
- Florida Voters in their First Statewide Election: May 26, 1845.
FLA 324.9034 M621f
- Includes voter lists by county.
This study is based on "the original 1845 Election Returns in the collection of the Florida
State Archives, Bureau of Archives and Records Management,
Division of Library & Information Services (Record Group 156, Series 486)"
- Florida Voter Registration Lists, 1867-68.
GEN 929.3759 F636
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations in Florida (Index)
- Compiled Service Records of Confederates of Florida (104 rolls)
- Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from Florida (Index)
- Confederate Service Records of Florida (Index, 11 rolls)
- East Florida Papers (various subjects) to 1821
- Florida 1st Cavalry (4th Infantry)
- Florida 5th Infantry
- Florida City Directories (non-Jacksonville includes Deland, Eustis, Gainesville, Ocala, Palatka, State of Florida, Daytona Beach 1908-1960 some years missing)
- Florida Confederate Pension Records (107 rolls)
- Florida Connections through Bible Records.
GEN 929.3759 T238f
- Family Bible Records.
GEN 929.3759 E26f
- Bible Records / collected by the Genealogical Records Chairmen, Florida Society, and representing almost all 84 chapters, Daughters of the American Revolution.
GEN 929.3759 D238bi
- Jacksonville, Florida Bible Records.
GEN 929.3759 D238jf
- Florida prison records, 1875 through 1899.
GEN 929.3759 B762f
- Pioneers of Florida's First Coast.
GEN 929.37591 S727p
- A Collection of Bio-genealogical Sketches of Selected Early Florida Pioneers.
GEN 929.3759 L998c
- Florida Pioneers and their Descendants.
GEN 929.3759 F636
- Florida Pioneers and their Alabama, Georgia, Carolina, Maryland, and Virginia Ancestors.
GEN 929.2 A1A946f
- History of Duval County, Florida: Biographies of Men and Women who Have Done Their Part in Making Duval County, Past and Present.
FLA 975.912 G618h
- Once upon a Lifetime: in Baker County, Florida.
GEN 929.375913 S635o
- Madison County, Florida, Family History Book.
GEN 929.375985 M182
- History of Jefferson County, Florida.
GEN 929.375987 M174h
- Pioneers of Jackson County: the Landholders 1826-1893, the Voting Record of 1845, 1850 U.S. Census of Jackson County, Glen's Stories and Reminiscences, and Some Pioneer Families of Jackson County.
GEN 929.375993 N753p
- 1896 Directory, Guide & History of Dade County, Florida.
GEN 929.3759381 E34
- Sharon, Clay County, Florida: the Community, the Church, the Cemetery.
GEN 929.375916 B965s
- Unto this Land: a History of the St. Johns Park Area of Flagler County, Florida and the Pioneer Settlers and their Descendants.
GEN 929.375919 U61
- Search for Yesterday: a History of Levy County, Florida.
GEN 975.977 S439
- Florida Genealogist
- Florida Historical Quarterly
- Jacksonville Genealogical Society Newsletter
- Jacksonville Genealogical Society Quarterly
- SGES Newsletter
- SGES Quarterly
- Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of Florida
- Treasure Coast Genealogical Society Bulletin
- Genealogical Society of Okaloosa County, FL
- Genealogical Society of Sarasota
- Geneline (Amelia Island)
- Putnam County Genealogical Society Newsletter
- Palmetto Trails (Arcadia)
- Ancestry (Palm Beach County)
- Links and Bridges (Hernando County)
- Suncoast Genealogical Society (Palm Harbor)
- Florida State Genealogical Society Newsletter
- Cracker Crumbs (Bradenton)
The Florida Collection has an assortment of historical newspapers focused primarily
on Jacksonville, but also including publications from Fernandina,
Orlando and St. Augustine. The 146-reel collection ranges as far back as 1823.
For a complete listing of Florida historical newspapers, click here.